Puffy Paint

>> Monday, January 17, 2011

I've been wanting to try this activity for awhile.  I've seen different recipes for homemade puffy pain, but this one that I found uses self-rising flour and your microwave.

This is very quick and easy - providing you have self-rising flour on hand.  You can mix everything up in muffin tins (like I did) or use small bowls.  You can also adjust the ingredients to increase the quantity of your paint.


Mix:

• 1 tablespoon self-raising flour
• A few drops of food colouring (don't forget to mix your colors too!)
• 1 tablespoon salt

Then add some water to make a nice smooth paste (I recommend starting at a tablespoon until you get the consistency that you want).


And then get painting!!  I recommend using something a little thicker than regular paper as this will seep through and the paper will tear.  You can use the cardboard from cereal boxes, toilet paper rolls, etc.  I printed out some winter pictures on cardstock paper.  You can also use paintbrushes or Q-tips. We used the Q-tips, but I think next time we'll use paintbrushes.




When you're done, microwave paper on high for 10-20 seconds until the paint puffs up.  It should be hardened when you take it out.



And most importantly -- have fun!!!  I know we did!  We're certainly going to be doing this again soon!




11 comments:

Unknown January 17, 2011 at 5:58 AM  

This looks simple and fun. Love it.

Semalee January 17, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

This is great! I'm going to have to buy some self-rising flour! I'm sure my chickie would LOVE this!

Semalee @ Nailing Jello to a Tree

Christy Killoran January 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM  

This is the puffy paint recipe we have used too. We put it in ketchup and mustard squeeze bottles and made designs on poster board by squeezing the paint out. It's been a while; I should do this again.

MaryAnne January 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

Very cool! I don't think I've seen this before, but my kids would love it!

maggy, red ted art January 19, 2011 at 6:54 AM  

Oh my word, this is soooo cool! What fun! I bet the kids adored it!! we must we must, we will do this!!

Thank you for sharing this on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

m.wright January 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

This is such a great idea. I will try this soon. Visiting from kids get crafty.

Susana January 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM  

Super cute snowflakes--they turned out great!

Thank you for the puffy paint recipe too!

Stopping by from Kids Get Crafty.

Deborah January 23, 2011 at 7:46 AM  

I really like this! I think I will give it a try the next time my nephew comes over!

Kristi@Creative Connections for Kids January 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM  

Love the easy ingredients, the texture, and artsy aspects!

Darcey January 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM  

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've never seen puffy paint made in the microwave before. I've included your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-23-2011.html I'm also a new follower of your blog.

erin j January 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM  

Had a blast with this today with my kiddos! Love things they can make and then use! And a little goes a super long way! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP