Starting Therapy......

>> Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So, I made a big decision for my mental health.

I'm starting therapy.

It's not a big deal, really.  Or is it?

A friend of mine is a counselor and is sponsoring a grad student who needs some guinea pigs patients to practice on.  There's a lot of positives around this:

1)  Sessions would only be about $5.  (Leave it up to me to find a deal on therapy!)
2)  I get to help her student with her counseling skills
3)  I get someone to help me figure out why I'm so neurotic

I have a meeting with her next Monday as a "getting-to-know you" session.  She said that this will help us decide where we want to go with my sessions.

Where I want to go?  Heck, where do I begin?

Do I begin with the the fact that I've made a lot of mistakes in my past.  Big, HUGE mistakes for which I cannot forgive myself yet.

Do I begin with that because I can't forgive myself that I feel that I don't deserve anything good or that I cannot accept a compliment or that I can't list 5 positive things about myself - let alone ONE thing.

Do I begin with the fact that I'm a recoving compulsive shopper and that I have relapse after relapse?

Do I begin with the fact that I feel like a bad mother 90% of the time?

Do I begin with the rough patch that hubby and I had before we had Nani - and that I'm still trying to work through that hurt?

Do I begin with the fact that I have issues with my own mother that I'm really trying hard to work out?

Where exactly do I begin?

Poor thing -- she has no idea what she's getting into.  She may look at me after our first session and decide to change her major to something -- like quantum physics  -- which would be a lot easier than helping me work through all my issues.

But, we shall see..........

9 comments:

MaryAnne January 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM  

I'm very impressed that you found a good deal for therapy! Good luck getting started, and I hope your friend's grad student can help!

Melissa N. January 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

Jennifer...$ 5 is awesome....they will surely learn from you for sure! Therapy can be sooo helpful...I did it years ago (bad divorce situation) and it can be the best thing! I say go for it...write it all down, pick from a hat! Good luck!

Camp Isaac Mama January 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

You should make a list of the things you feel are holding you down/back to take to your first appointment so you can get it all out there. I'm sure she'll have an idea of where to start, after all, she's an aspiring professional! I'm sure you'll both learn a lot from this! Good luck :o)

Christy Killoran January 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM  

Everyone can use a little therapy and it's a win/win with that great price! Good luck. I hope you find it helpful.

Elle Belles Bows January 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Best wishes on the therapy. It sounds as though you really want to let go and are choosing a good path to do it. Please remember all the wonderful and amazing things about YOU. You deserve happiness and peace! Kerri

Unknown January 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM  

I admire your honesty and would like to say that I think there is no problem with having therapy, I only wish I had when I needed it the most! And as for where to begin, believe me, when you get there it will flow.....Good Luck with your sessions ~♥~

Mass Hole Mommy January 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

I need therapy...I seriously do. I have issues, but I think just being able to talk about stuff is important. I hope it goes well for ya!

Natalie PlanetSmarty January 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

I hope that this beginner therapist will help you work out through all these issues. Good luck!

LucieP January 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM  

therapy is great! ;) I was in it for about half of 2010 and can't believe how much I learned about myself.

I'm not a Social Worker although I do with them- I would say just from this post, your theme should be accepting who you are! ;)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP