Future Homemaker?

>> Friday, May 6, 2011

I've made no bones about it. I was never a career-minded woman. I worked because I had to. At times I enjoyed what I did -- the opportunity to travel, meet wonderful people (and celebrities). But I hated the grind....I hated living in Washington DC and having to get up at 4am for an hour and a half commute one way.

I never wanted a career. My career was to be a wife and mother. And when that finally happened, I was content. I reached my goal.

As a mother, I want the best for my daughters. I want them to be happy with their choices in life. I want them to be the best at what they do. If they choose a career-path, I will love them and support them. If they choose to be a mother and wife, I will love them and support them.

Regardless of what they choose, I would hope that I am instilling in them some homemaking skills.  I may not be the best housekeeper, but I can still teach them that Clorox Wipes and a Swiffer can be your best friend.  I may not be the best cook, but I can still teach them recipes that have been handed down from my mother, my grandmother, and my great grandmother.  I may not be the best mother, but I can still love them with all my heart and soul and make them the center of my universe.

I've often wondered......if girls are raised in a home with a stay home mom, are they more likely to become stay home moms themselves?  What made me wonder this was a sweet moment that I caught Nani in the Saturday before Easter.

I was preparing to bake my traditional Easter bread.  It involves a lot of kneading and getting flour all over you, but Nani quietly asked if she could help me.  I watched her face light up as I said yes and watched as she ran for her little apron.  She ran and got her little step stool and placed it at the table next to me.  As she stepped up, she listened carefully to what I had to teach her and then asked for a turn.


I stood back and watched as she took what I taught her and tried on her own.

Love the whole look - the skirt, the apron, the bare feet, kneading homemade bread



I was so proud of her.  Proud of her for trying.  Proud of her for starting to explore options for what her future could be - whether it's mom or working woman.

By the way -- her bread tasted FABULOUS!



Friend Finding Fridays

10 comments:

Unknown May 6, 2011 at 7:59 AM  

So cool! I remember the boys helping me cook, love those memories!
New follower from the blog hop, hope you'll follow me back, thanks!
http://fulltimeadventure.blogspot.com/

Blogs May 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

i couldn't agree with you more.....i love being a mother and taking care of my girls (best career ever) you are sharing the best moments with yours:) enjoy! xoxo

MaryAnne May 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

I always wanted to be a mom, too! I do think having a stay-at-home mom might make you more likely to choose that path, especially if your mother enjoyed staying home - I know mine did!

LOVE the photos of Nani making bread!

Becky Jane May 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM  

Enjoyed your post and had a delightful visit on your blog! I agree that being a stay at home mom is the best! How fortunate we are to have these years with our children.
I'm a military MOM. My son is in Japan in the AF. Opens a whole different world for this mom.


New GFC Follower! Hope you can stop by for a visit.
Thanks, Becky Jane
http://RiseAboveYourLimits.blogspot.com/

Unknown May 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Hi, I am a new follower thru GFC and Networked Blogs. I did not see Facebook or Twitter or I would have followed thru them also. If you have those and need me to come back, I will be more than glad to come back. I would greatly appreciate a follow back on both of the above and Facebook if you have it. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Mary@http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com

Divvy Up Diva May 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM  

How cute :) Hello! I am stopping by from the Follow on Friday Blog Hop. I am your newest follower, and I cannot wait to read more. I hope that you will stop by my blog and follow me back :)
www.divvyupdiva.com

Natalie PlanetSmarty May 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM  

I am coming from the other side of this continuum - I always wanted to have a career and to accomplish things professionally. Motherhood was an accidental gift, but the best gift I ever got. I do want my daughter to find her own passion professionally and not just "do her time" until she finds a husband, but I totally agree with you about the importance of learning some homemaking skills. Looking back, I wish my working mom taught me more than she actually did.

Anonymous May 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

I love everything about this post :)

My mom is a terrific homemaker and wanted to be a SAHM and unfortunately she had to work once my sister and I were in school...and she's still working now :( Both my sister and I are fortunate enough to be SAHM's right now.

The ironic part of it all is although my sister and I have the opportunity to be SAHM, and our mom did not, we are lousy homemakers. We don't clean, rarely cook...but mom was great at it. Hopefully we're great moms in spite of that.

Maybe I'll be bit by the homemaking bug once Adaline is old enough to "help" in the kitchen. I'd really love for her to learn all of those things I don't feel equipped to do.

Kathleen May 6, 2011 at 9:53 PM  

My kids love helping in the kitchen too!

Now following from the Social Parade.

Callista's Ramblings

Sarah May 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM  

What a great idea! Those skills are just nice to have in college - you would be surprised at how many people don't know how to do basic baking or even vacuum their room!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP