Homemade Laundry Detergent

>> Friday, September 2, 2011

I've always wanted to try to make my own detergent.  But every recipe I seemed just too complicated and was for a liquid detergent.  I just didn't have the time or the space to make those recipes, so I did a Google search for "homemade powdered detergent" and came across a TON of easy and quick recipes!

The one I settled on only required 3 ingredients:


All three items were found at our base commissary - Washing Soda ($3), Borax ($3), Ivory Soap ($2)

I didn't want to use my own kitchen bowls, grater, etc., so I bought some at my corner Dollar Tree.  These are dedicated crafting supplies now -- no worries about mixing the up with my kitchen stuff since they will be stored in my crafting area.  (Total - $4)


Step 1:  Grate 1 bar of Ivory Soap (I made a triple batch, so I used 3 bars)  Put in bowl.


Step 2:  Add 1 Cup each of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and Borax


Step 3:  Stir until all ingredients are mixed and mixture looks crumbly.  Store in airtight container.  Use 1 Tbsp. for regular sized loads or 2 Tbsp. for larger loads.

**I don't recommend using this in a HE machine.  When I Googled "HE Machines" all articles indicated that special detergent be used specifically for those machines.

I've been using this mixture for the past week and have noticed that our clothes are coming out cleaner and smell so good!!  As I use it throughout the month, I'll be tracking to see if - in the end - it is more economical to make your own vs. store-bought.

Next up:  homemade bubble bath!

Linking Up With:



8 comments:

Anonymous September 2, 2011 at 6:56 AM  

I recently made my own laundry detergent and I am really liking it! I was surprised at how clean the clothes came out (and really happy!)

bj September 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM  

Now, this is TOO KOOL FOR SCHOOL...
I love this idea and plan to make some, too. With the cost of everything going sky-high, we NEED to do things like this. Thanks so much. Now, I am going to follow so I won't miss any of your tips.:)
Come by when you can..
xo bj

Lauren Gardner September 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

What a fun blog! I found you on mommy bloggers and I am excited to follow! If you get a second to check out mine, I'd appreciate it! Hope you have a magical day!

Mass Hole Mommy September 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

Very cool. I used to make my own detergent, but I am faaaarrr too lazy to do it these days lol!

Chestnut Grove Academy September 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

this seems to be a trend, I was just going to post about the laundry det I made this weekend! lol

MaryAnne September 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM  

Very cool! I can't wait to see how you made your bubble bath!

Anonymous September 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

I've been using homemade laundry soap for the past year and I don't think I'll ever go back to store bought. I make a liquid detergent, but I think I'll try your recipe next time. Both the one I make and the one you make have the exact same ingredients, yours is just minus the water - and will be a lot easier to store =)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun September 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM  

Oh, I've never tried making my own laundry detergent before, but I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for posting this!! :-)

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP