Spending Less, Loving More - The "Off-Tober" Challenge

>> Thursday, September 17, 2015


During September, I started a challege where I'm focusing on spending less, saving more, and decluttering.  While the month isn't over yet and the challenge will still be ongoing even when the month is over, one thing that stuck with me the most was this -- what good is all the decluttering and discovering a more authentic, simple life if I can't enjoy it with my family because we all have our noses buried deep into technology.

I'm guilty of it -- big time.  Missing moments with my kids in the car because I'm checking my phone at stoplights.  Sending my kids to bed with movies on their DVD players because I have to watch one more episode on Netflix, or I have to check Facebook one last time.  Or I look at the books all around my house.....unread because I'm too busy checking my DVR list.  Or I'm missing the truly authentic moment because I'm too busy trying to get the perfect picture to post on Facebook.  Or I missed my daughters perfect their pirouette or backbend because I was too busy texting or scrolling through Facebook.

I recently got a new phone.  The first thing I installed?  Facebook.  My priorities are truly fucked up (pardon the language).......and I'm going to tackle that during October's challenge.....which I have called "Off-Tober"

During this challenge I will cut back, if not cut out altogether, Facebook, email, phone use (including texting, games, using apps, etc.) and TV.  Please understand that the rules that I list for the challenge are MY rules - rules that will work for ME and MY FAMILY.  They may not work for you.....you may run a business and need constant access to technology......and THAT'S OK!  Do what you need to do for YOU and YOUR FAMILY.  This isn't a cookie cutter challenge......do what works for YOU!

Over the next few weeks, before the challenge starts, I will go into more specific details for each thing -- what's allowed, what's not allowed, etc.   But to give you an idea, here's the list of the things I will be giving up/cutting back on:

1)  Facebook
2)  Cell Phone in general
3)  Email
4)  Texting
5)  Television (including Netflix, Hulu, DVR, On Demand)
6)  Kindle
7)  Computer time in general (blogging, volunteer responsibilities, etc)

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this challenge will take me and how it will test me.

How about you?  Have you done a No Technology Challenge or Media Fast?  How did it work for you?  Are you interested in joining me during "Off-Tober"?

 

2 comments:

KellyCheeseman September 17, 2015 at 12:44 PM  

I so need to do this as well. I have found myself always on my cell checking things while I should be spending time with my kids. I was just telling myself today that I need to set some boundaries. Maybe I will try my own version of Off-Tober right with you! I'll test a few things out for the rest of the month and go from there! Thanks for the motivation for this.

mmkemm September 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM  

I have not done a disconnect challenge at all before. I can say the biggest thing I enjoy about camping, however, is that I'm unplugged from technology, the rest of the world, etc. Here's where I admit I haven't been camping in about six years. So now you have me thinking about how I can "unplug" from the comfort of my own home, without necessarily going on a camping trip!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP