Saving & Giving Challenge - What I Learned..........

>> Friday, October 16, 2015


It's mid-October and I realized that I never did a recap or end-of-challenge blog post for the September Challenge.  I really couldn't believe that the month went by so quickly.....but it was definitely an eye-opening, lesson-learning experience for me!

So what did I learn?

I learned that I CAN put money into savings and not think twice about spending it.  I learned that I LIKE seeing the numbers grow in that savings account and that when I see that savings build up, it makes me think twice about wanting to spend. When I would spend money I didn't have, the account would be red, and I'd have to transfer money from savings to cover that. But now....I think twice.....but then I also find myself swinging to the other extreme at times-- not wanting to spend at all.

I learned that when I put my mind to it, I can avoid the impulse buys.....but I learned that I still have a long way to with controlling my emotions.....or rather, letting my emotions control me......as my binges proved.  I learned that I can recognize those trigger emotions and try to come up with better coping techniques.

I learned that my organizational OCD tendencies can prove to be very beneficial when planning a budget and making sure that bills get paid on time.  I starting marking bill due dates in my calendar and deducting them in the checkbook right away so that I can see - in black and white - where the money is going.

I learned that auto bill paying can be my best friend

I learned that I still have problems writing actual checks for bills where auto pay is not an option.  I learned that I need to figure out why this is such a sticking point for me and come up with a better way to deal with this.

I learned that, while some unplanned expenses will pop up (i.e. car repairs, unexpected tickets from vacation, etc.), I can cope a little better knowing that I have a little bit of a savings cushion right now.  (See point #1)

I learned that my compulsive spending has led to a minor case of hoarding and a big case of clutter.  They go hand in hand for me.  I learned that I'm not a big full-price buyer and that my compulsion is fueled by the thrill of finding good bargains and sales.


I learned that it's ok to let it all go.  I learned that it feels so good to just give and not expect anything in return.  I learned that this is something I want to continue to do in the months to come.

I learned that I still have a long way to go and that I will never have this 100% under control.  I learned that each day will present it's own challenges and that only I can choose how to handle them.  Some days I will succeed.....and some days I will fail big time......and that's ok. 


As long as I learn and keep moving forward, it will all be ok........

1 comments:

Danielle Cowles October 16, 2015 at 8:43 AM  

Way to go!!!! It is so hard and I struggle too. September i did absolutely fantastic and October not as well. But I find that if I take it a day at a time then I can let go of the guilt on days I don't do as well and pass along the positivity if I do well.

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP