How To Be A Good Wife - Week 2

>> Friday, February 26, 2010

Last week I started a series for how to be a good wife 1955 style vs. 2010 style.  For a recap of Week 1's lesson, if you missed it, click here

This week's lesson is all about beauty! So listen up ladies!

**************************************
1955 Rule #2

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives.


Touch up your make-up.



Put a ribbon in your hair.


Be fresh-looking.


He has just been with a lot of work-weary people



2010 Lesson #2

During the kid's naptime, wish that you could take a nap to feel refreshed.  Sigh with longing as you remember that the last time you took a nap was on your honeymoon after a night of binge drinking in New Orleans (just because it was happy hour and you had to indulge in the buy 1, get two free Hurricane drink specials).

Fifteen minutes before he comes home, toss the kids in front of Sesame Street with a bowl of goldfish and run up the stairs to change out of the bathrobe and pajamas that you've been wearing all day.


Never mind that the jeans and sweatshirt you picked off the floor was sitting in the pile of laundry to be washed and smells vaguely of the dog.



Run to the bathroom to brush your teeth.  Find dog hair in your toothbrush and realize the kids have been using your toothbrush to brush the dog's teeth again.


Toss the toothbrush in the trash and opt for a quick rinse of Listerine. 


Touch up your makeup.  That is if you're wearing any.  Either way, be sure to wash off the pureed peaches the baby threw at you during breakfast.


Brush the Cheerios out of your hair and opt for the ever popular sexy stay home mom uptwist.  For a little extra something, add a sparkly barrette to hold those "they're not grey, they're blond" strands of hair in place.


For an even more fresh feel, don't forget to do a quick swipe of deoderant.


Or a spritz of his favorite perfume - you know, the perfume that he bought you for your first Valentine's Day - the bottle of Love's Baby Soft that's been sitting on your dresser for the past 10 years because it makes you sneeze and break out in hives every time you use it.



Just remember ladies - it's the small gestures that count the most in his eyes.

Next week's lesson.....The Good Wife's Guide To Raising Happy, Well-Behaved Children

32 comments:

Lisa February 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM  

I love this series, I think I am more of the 2010 version of a housewife, especially about changing out of your pyjamas!!!

What is even funnier is that I somehow I misread the Love's Baby Soft Advert and thought it said 'Because incontinence is sexier than you think'!!!!

Can't wait for next week about well-behaved children, I need all the help I can get!

The Mommyologist February 26, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

OMG I loved this post and cannot wait to read more of this series. What a great idea!!!

I am SO guilty of wearing Love's baby soft at one point or another.

Here from Friday Follow and I'm going to follow you for sure. I am so glad I stopped by!

Lisa February 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM  

Hahaham, the Lisa above beat me to it. That Baby Soft ad is hilarious!! I love the fact that I'm not the only one that will stay in their PJ's all day then change when I hear the truck coming down the road (I will deny this til I die though)and I have those "they're blond not grey" hairs too, LOL!!

Love your post!! You're so funny:)

HilLesha O'Nan February 26, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

I'm stopping by to say hi. I'm also following your awesome blog! =)

http://www.tothemotherhood.com

amanda February 26, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

these are great! i think we've talked about the 1950's mom in our mom's group one. and i must not be a 2010 mom either, because i just stay in my jammies all day. :0) yesterday in fact i did that. can't wait til next week's post

Suzanne February 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

I read your first post and saw a new one up this morning. This is so clever...and hysterical! I love it...how on earth did you think of doing this? The photos are priceless. I wish I had been a wife and mother back then:-) Can't wait for the guide to raising children. I'm going to mention this series on my blog. Thanks for a great start to the weekend!
Suzanne
P.S The song playing in the background is amazing!

Buckeroomama February 26, 2010 at 7:39 AM  

If I don't have errands to run, I might have been known to stay in my pj's, too... or not. Not admitting anything in writing. :p

TamsJewelry February 26, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

Love your blog the music is soothing,That voice sounds familiar.Happy Friday follow.

Mandee February 26, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

Following you from Friday follow!
Have a great weekend!
http://raisingmy4sons.com

Mom et al February 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Hi, Friday Follower coming back to visit.


Come visit me at mom-et-al.com


-Maria

Jjjj February 26, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

this series cracks me up. it always amuses me to read the male written "suggestions" for how women should look/behave/portray themselves. ahhhh men. so lovable. so delusional.

also the suggestions make me wonder if men compared notes at work and came up with more suggestions based on the feedback from your buddies.

dude 1: what was your wife wearing last night?

dude 2: a bathrobe

dude 1: you got robbed! mine was wearing a sexy poodle skirt

dude 2: man, if only she had some kind of guide to teach her how to dress

dude 1: are you thinking what i'm thinking??

dude 2: (high five) gold man! GOLD!! a manual is just what they need!

Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

following back from FF

Krajcimama February 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

Stopping over to follow you from Friday Follow!

Can't wait to look around your blog!

Love this post - sooo true in our house, too!

http://imperfectionperfectly.blogspot.com

joeandbridge February 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Hi there! Just stopping by to say Happy Friday Follow. I already follow!

Bridgette Groschen
The Groschen Goblins
http://www.groschengoblins.blogspot.com/

Unknown February 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

I totally remeber that Love's Baby Soft ad!

I must be doing well because I follow the 2010 rules very closely! And I didn't even know it.

Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

That is pretty hilarious and all soo so so so sooo true! Love it! I want 1950's back just soI could take a nap or a bath that looks so good in that picture.

heather@actingbalanced.com February 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

love this!

thanks for following from FF, am now following you back

Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

LOL!!!

I usually touch up my make-up throughout the day so Ifeel less haggerd. This week, I didn't and my husband came home and told me I was all smudged - meanwhile I was holding a crying baby and yelling at a tween - I told him "You have got to be Fu**ing Kidding Me"

Hattie February 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

Baaaahahahaha! That is too funny and oh so true! Stopping by from Friday Follow! Can't wait to read more!

Hattie
http://godlovehim-hattie.blogspot.com/

Erin @ Closing Time February 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Ha!! This is great...and so true! :)

Anonymous February 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

LOVED this!

And while I'm here--TAG! You're it!
http://boobiesbabiesblog.blogspot.com

Following your great blog.

Amanda: February 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

Oh my gosh, Jennifer - this just might be the most hilarious blog series I have EVER read!!! It absolutely makes me crack up every time I read a new entry!!!!! So great - THANK YOU for this, my friend!!

Vanessa February 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

I *love* how you're doing this! :-D Although, I think I must still be a total dork, because I find myself relating to the 1950s wife so far!!

Helene February 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

I love this series! It's amazing how we're so different than those moms back in 1955!!

I don't even bother to touch up my makeup or change out of my sweats when my hubby comes home. If I even looked a tad presentable, he'd think I was having an affair.

Carrie February 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

this is a great series! catching up on posts... I got as HUGE chuckle from your Dad's obsession with mailing you things! hilarious!

オテモヤン February 28, 2010 at 5:41 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Personalized Sketches and Sentiments February 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

haha!!! How about having that "sauna-type" thing in your house?
What a great series! I will have to check your first one out.

Blessings & Aloha!

casey aubut February 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Following you from Follow Each Other over at Mom Blogging Club.
Hope to see you over at my blog too! :)
Cassandra

Http://aubutfamily.blogspot.com

dawn hild February 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

Hi~
Tagged you back!
dawn hild
http://meandcraig.blogspot.com

melaniet42 March 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

Hilarious - I love it!! Thanks for the chuckle!!

What I'm Reading Now

Might As Well Laugh About It Now
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Plum Spooky
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading
Through the Grinder
0 of 5 stars true
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Followers

Recent Visitors

    © The Toy Box Years. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP